Sunday, July 5, 2009

Texas 4th of July Recipe!


TEXAS CAVIAR

Mrs. Top Gun loves this recipe, and it is a staple across tables at any 4th of July celebration in Texas. It DOES not include any fish eggs, so rest assured! The 'Caviar' part is actually the Black eyed peas in the dish, and they are delicious.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

3 cans drained black eye peas with chopped jalapeno peppers *if you can't find these, just chop up your own peppers and add them to taste.*
1 purple onion, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 avocados, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped *Don't like Cilantro? Don't add it*
Zesty Italian Salad Dressing *Add your favorite brand. I like to use WishBone*

Prep Time:

After you chop all this up, add enough Zesty Italian dressing to get the consistency that you want for a dip. Add salt and pepper and refrigerate overnight. Serve with tortilla chips, or with your favorite chip. I like to take fresh corn tortillas, cut them into triangles and then fry them up! Making your own tortilla chips just tastes better! Serve in your favorite bowl, and top the dip with a few slices of fresh avocado. ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. I might have to give this a try on our next BBQ occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try this. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?