Thursday, August 13, 2009

In La Cocina With Mrs. Top Gun

Mrs. Top Gun's Chimichurri Steak


*The Chimichurri Sauce*
*Flank steak right before broiling*
*Rice with tomatoes, cilantro, jalapenos and cheese*
*The Final Product!*
*All plated up and looking delicious!*
*Please excuse my abhorable paper plates in the pictures. My china and flatware had not arrived yet...*
Mr. Top Gun gave this dinner a '10 thumbs up!' He came home from a long day at work and was greeted by this delicious meal waiting for him. See, I DO love him and take care of him :) He certainly did marry a woman who knows how to cook! *TOOTING MY HORN*

Ingredients:

* Flank Steak, nicely trimmed.
* 2 cups of mild, light tasting olive oil. (I used Bertolli)
* 1-1.5 cups of freshly chopped parsley
* 1.5 cups of freshly chopped cilantro
* 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar (adjust this to your liking)
* 2 tbsp of crushed garlic
* a few red chili flakes
*1/2 of a lime, juiced
* Salt to taste
*Pepper to taste
*Feel free to adjust all the ingredients to your liking. Add more of something or take something out!

Preparation for the sauce:

Take the parlsey and cilantro and add to a large bowl. Combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice and garlic. Mix well. Then add the chili flakes and salt and pepper, mix well again. You're done! *KEEP SOME LEFT OVER FOR POURING OVER THE STEAK WHEN FINISHED COOKING*

Steak:

In a large ziploc bag, place the steak inside and pour the marinade over it. Marinate for at least 5 hours, but preferably overnight. The meat will 'cook' with all the citrus juices and the vinegar. When you are ready to grill/broil it, remove the meat from the bag and scrape off any excess marinade left on it. Let it sit at room temp for about 30 minutes before putting in the oven or on the grill. I broiled mine about 6 minutes on each side, and it came out a perfect medium rare! *my oven cooks really fast, so y'all may need to increase or decrease the time to suit how you prefer your steak cooked* Broil the meat on high or place on the grill. When you see it cooked to your liking, remove it and allow to sit for a few minutes before cutting into it. Slice against the grain of the meat, and add the remaining sauce over the steak.

Side Dishes:

1. I took white rice, added fresh tomatoes, cilantro and a few jalapenos and allowed it to cook together on the stove top for about 25 minutes. Then, I took the rice and placed it in a baking dish and topped it with cheddar cheese and a few jalapenos. Pop it into the oven at 350 for a few minutes to melt the cheese.

2. Pinto beans with jalapenos- Pain in the butt to boil, but easy to flavor. Use the basic pinto bean recipe you know and then add the tamed jalapenos *If you like more heat, add the hotter ones* And, if you don't have a pinto bean recipe you can: 1. ask me for my complicated recipe or 2. Buy some at your local grocery store!

That's it! Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. I think the paper plates give it a little something extra! Haha, I hope your stuff gets to you soon. Glad you're doing alright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm always looking for something new to do to flank steak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, that's it, I'm coming over. Vegas lacks all things in the food department and I am dying over here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must make this when hubby gets back from Kuwait!!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?