My actual cat... Zeus Baron, the Russian Blue

I am a self admitted animal lover. I mean it, I love all animals and wish I had the room to take in all of the stray cats and dogs I have seen over the years. Now, here is a little bit of background on me with cats... I fear that I shall probably become the nutty cat lady if I am ever left alone on this earth, and you know what? That's ok with me, because they all need homes! Ok, back to my point... When I was in college and living on my own, I moved into this gorgeous, new and fancy apartment complex. Everything was awesome, except I couldn't bring my dog Sadie with me (as she had grown so accustomed to living at home with my parents,) and I was lonely. I ended up noticing that an old and frumpy looking male cat had decided to take up residence on my back porch, and he had also decided to leave his 'mark' on my front door... Yuck!
I eventually got up the courage to feed him and let him know that it was ok to call my porch home, and that he would always have a supply of food and water to come to. This turned into me 'adopting' him, and I named him Grampy cat. He was an old cat, and had seen some pretty rough times while living on the street, but I loved him! Fast forward to three and a half years later, and he now belonged to me. I had a house on my porch for him, I worried about where he was when we had crazy Texas storms, and my parents would feed him when I went out of town with friends for the weekend. He was my little old man cat, and he was my heart. Unfortunately, he was also sick and I knew something was wrong with him when I came home from work and found him lying on the patio, a pool of his vomit with blood lying by the door. It took me a week to coax him into the cat carrier, but one day I opened the door and he just walked right in and laid down.
I knew what I had to do. I had to take Grampy to the vet to be put to sleep. It broke my heart, but the vet told me he was tired and ready and when she put him in the blanket and laid him on the table, he looked up at me and closed his eyes. Grampy has been gone for three years now, but he isn't completely gone... I had him cremated, and he sits upstairs on our dresser in a gorgeous sunburst red urn. Hey, he has been on all the road trips, tdy's and our PCS to Japan with us! This is where my love for cats comes from, and I ended up adopting a little grey cat who was his friend... that cat is commonly referred to on my blog, and that would be the Russian Blue named Zeus Baron. He lives with my nana and grandpa in Texas now :)
Here are the kitties that I have 'adopted.' As long as I have some food to feed them, I at least know that one more cat isn't going hungry tonight. And I also know I can NEVER adopt them, as they are too wild, but that's ok with me. It makes my heart smile to see them looking fuller and healthier! *FYI* These Japanese cats aren't starving here... the Americans feed them all the time :)
*My 'adopted' cat. This is Marcus MonteCristo!


I LOVE this post! I'm exactly like you--especially when it comes to cats. Keira kitty ran away 2 weeks ago...I hope somewhere out there there's someone like you and me taking good care of her, I don't want to think of her starving.
ReplyDeleteawww!!!! we're both major animal people and we have two indoor cats right now. :)
ReplyDelete