I was at the BX the other day and while wandering around the aisles in search of cards and little goodies to pack as a surprise for Mr. Top Gun, I came across this book. I picked it up without hesitation, and you know what? I am so glad I did! This is an absolutely fabulous book. It hits right on the nail, its truthful, funny, a tearjerker and just what I need to be reading right now. I often question my choices in books and movies when Mr. Top Gun is gone, because it seems that I am drawn towards books about the military family and movies about planes being in war, etc... Not the best? Probably not, but somehow it makes me feel better and it surely makes my heart swell with pride knowing that my husband is up there flying around protecting our freedoms! If y'all have a chance, pick this gem of a book up. You won't be disappointed! The image on the cover makes me think of myself (sans child, of course) because standing on the flightline and watching Mr. Top Gun walk away into his plane is one of the HARDEST things I've ever done. I have to pretend my feet are superglued to the ground, so that I don't feel tempted to run after him. *Bah* And I have one of the moments coming up soon, followed by the BIG D-DAY shortly after. At least I am able to go home for the holidays!! I'll be here for about a month alone, which sucks but I shall make it through with the help of friends here and all of you fabulous blog ladies :)
*This book is NOT for everyone. Some people may find it way too depressing to read, and others may really not care for it at all. I am thoroughly enjoying it though! Especially since I lived where she was stationed while my Dad was in the Air Force.*
Entering the Roaring 20s
6 years ago



that book was SO HARD for me to read. alison buckholtz was actually stationed where matt and i are currently stationed; she lived just a mile or so away from where we live. it hit so close to home-- the weather, the places, everything-- i could hardly stand it.
ReplyDeleteit's a good book, but i would more recommend it for non-military families rather than military families, since i found it mostly depressing but non-military families would find it informative.
that's just my opinion!
I can't wait to pick it up and read it!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you've found something good to read. I'm also glad that it didn't seriously depress you. I can't read stuff like that during deployment. No way.
ReplyDelete