Saturday, September 26, 2009

Japan: The land of sushi, soba, and engrish...

When you live in Japan, what do you do? (besides getting into an accident...) You visit a very, very authentic Sushi and Tempura house! And that is precisely what Mr. Top Gun and I proceeded to do a few days ago. This little gem is located right up the road from our house and is conveniently located between the Pizza In (yes, they spell it like that) and the Men's "Relaxation"/Sex Salon! I know, the island has very KLASSY areas...
Anyhow, we arrived during dinner and were surprised to be the ONLY people in the house, that is until we both realized that the Japanese eat much later than 5:30 or 6:30 in the evening. Mr. Top Gun remarked that he hoped we wouldn't die from bad fish since nobody was in the restaraunt but us, and that should be taken as a red flag. Oh, Mr. Top Gun! You silly man :) We opted for eating in one of the many tatami rooms over a regular table, because we are in Japan! I removed my sandals without problems and sat down upon my comfy cushions, and began perusing the menu. Mr. Top Gun was not quite as successful as I was with taking his shoes off however... He struggled with them for a good three minutes, taking time to fix his socks and jeans in the process. Eons later, he joined me for dinner. Alright, in his defense he is 6 feet tall and all legs so I can understand how it is uber difficult for him to even sit down in a tatami room! I always see him adjusting his legs, cracking his knee and stretching during dinner. Poor baby!
After these shenanigans had finished, we began perusing the dinner menu *yum!* Upon first glance, we notice the waitress has subtly placed the chef's nightly recommendations on the side of our table. We look at it and... Guess what I have the pleasure of seeing again? HORSE MEAT SASHIMI! Seriously, Japan? Can you cool it with the horse meat menu already? I do so thoroughly enjoy your sushi and noodles and tempura, but you must understand that when I see HORSE on a menu, my little old stomach shuts down. So, STOP IT!
After getting over the shock of horse meat again, we order. Well, we attempt to read the menu and then order... You see, the Japanese are not so good in translating Japanese into English, and therefore have the most ridiculously silly and difficult to read and even comprehend Menus! I swear I want to bust out my handy red marker and start correcting all of the spelling errors on the menus! Yes, this is the part where the English Major dork in me seems to emerge quite often. So, without further babbling from my nonstop mouth, please enjoy a few pictures from our adventure at Amawari Sushi and Tempura House!





Hmmmm..... Does anyone wish to try the boiled tuna eye? Or perhaps you may fancy the sliced tuna cheek on an iron plate? If not, you can always request cuttlefish guts in sauce, octopus guts in sauce, horse meat sashimi, chicken toes and guts, and probably anything else that sounds nasty- and guess what? They shall make it for you!! Yeah!!! Japan!!!

3 comments:

  1. If I ever go to Japan, I'm gonna have to pack my lunch. Oh man... tuna eye...ekkk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am really not sure that I could venture out to these little gems!!! I would be terrified of what I ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMg, I am laughing out loud!!!! Seriously. Horse meat sashimi? That is like the nastiest thing I have ever heard. And just so terrible. Boiled tuna eye? WTF?

    And...is it bad that I totally want sushi now?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?