Monday, October 5, 2009

Murphy's Law strikes me again

Alright. I have seriously had it up to HERE with the ridiculous shenanigans which seem to ensue right after Mr. Top Gun leaves (for god knows where in this world he may be!) As you may recall, the last time he left I managed to get into one heck of a car accident, injure myself, scare the daylight out of Mr. Top Gun and his Squadron, and total his car. I thought that would be enough for awhile (the next time I was thinking I would be pregnant and in labor without him here,) but apparently good ol' Mr. MURPHY has decided to pay me a visit once again! *SIDENOTE* I AM NOT PREGNANT WITH A LITTLE TOP GUN. THAT IS NOT EVEN AN OPTION UNTIL AFTER MR. TOP GUN COMES BACK FROM THE  SANDBOX* Upon first visiting, Mr. Murphy decided that it would be a great idea for me to almost cause a fire in my home. Yes, a darn fire! I must admit though- I am extremely embarrassed that I even remotely allowed this to possibly occur, given the fact that I know my way around my kitchen and surely I know about how some ovens have the broilers underneath... right? WRONG. FAIL.


 Apparently, I thought my new oven here in Japan was like my old one back in Texas. You know how some ovens have storage underneath? The little drawer that you pull out and slide back? Well, I decided to broil a steak the other night and all of a sudden I smell this intense burning smell. I open the oven and see nothing, so I finish cooking and turn the oven off. A few hours later, I decided to bake some mini cinnamon rolls for a spouses' function the next day and that is when I figured it out: Holy crap! I had completely burned one of my favorite (and old- like given to me by my mom and all that good stuff,) wooden serving trays.  In all my years of cooking, I have NEVER pulled anything like this! Thank you, Mr. Murphy for always keeping me humble... grrr!  And yes, those are Mother's Iced lemonade cookies and Keebler's Chocolate Covered Graham Cracker Cookies sitting on top of our microwave. Mr. Top Gun claims the Keebler's and I claim the Mother's.

My second visit with Mr. Murphy came in the form of this:

    Yes, you are looking at the current track of a Super Typhoon named Melor. Welcome, please feel free to turn around and GO AWAY! Seriously?? I am the biggest weenie with even the smallest thunderstorm, and now with Mr. Top Gun flying around the world I am even more of a weenie. I need him home to protect me! All I know is that the current track has the brunt of this storm hitting early Wednesday morning, with 50-60 mph winds and lots of rain. I surely hope and pray that it stays on it's current track- I can handle 45-50 mph winds (as forecasted by the Weather Flight here,) but I cannot deal with a Category 1 Typhoon right now!!! Mr. Murphy, please just leave. You have indeed worn out your welcome, good sir! On the plus side though, I did manage to have my Japanese housing agency come out to fix my awfully leaky slidng glass door today (bad for typhoons, you think?) and I even managed to visit our brand new BX! Yeah, I went. But, I went for extra towels incase water decides to come in the windows from the storm, and I happened to find some much needed goodies for our home :) Here's to Mr. Murphy leaving very, very soon!

4 comments:

  1. Oh how I have missed my daily fix of Mrs. Top Gun. I am sad to comeback and find Mr. Murphy not being nice to you! Tell him I said he is an ass hole. Keep us posted on the storm. I'm praying for you lady, all fo the time. And for Mr. Top Gun too! :) Keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I'm glad that the place didn't get burned down! That would have been bad!!! I hope the storm doesn't hit you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Senor Murphy and I have pretty much been at odds this entire deployment!!!! So my hubs is in Japan right now, and the waves were so bad that they couldn't even get a liberty boat to take them from the boat to dry land. Boo to THAT (since it means no phone call). Hope your days get better!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What on earth is the point of having a broiler on the bottom? What purpose does that serve? I have been trying to figure out how to cook stuff that way and have only come up with nixing the pan all together.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?