Waiting in line to check in!
My friend arrived Monday morning at our home in Japan to pick me up and take me to the airport. Like any normal person, I was up super early, dressed, packed, had unplugged the lamps, T.V. and anything else with a plug, and even managed to drag my huge suitcase down the stairs. Well, managed to drag it DOWN stairs with no problems- that is until I decided to walk back upstairs and apparently forgot how to walk at all... I suppose I just decided to stop walking upstairs, and slammed my left big toe right into the wooden stairs. Then, my house phone rings so I run to answer it and by the time I say hello, I am crying. It was my Dad, and he was like: "What the heck is wrong with you?" "I broke my toe. It hurts like hell, Dad and I don't know what to do!!" I ended up buddy wrapping it with band-aids (since Mr. Top Gun took the first aid kit with him, all I had was band-aids,) and somehow I managed to get it into my brand new Nike Shox that Mr. Top Gun bought for me before he left.
Don't ask me how, but by the grace of God I was able to limp out of my house, into the car, through the airport, through the plane and then sat for 9 hours! I did, however muster up enough strength in Tokyo to wobble over to one of the numerous Sushi bars in the airport, and proceeded to eat my way through some of the BEST TUNA nigiri and sashimi in the world! I had in all, 6 pieces of tuna, 1 tuna roll, and 1 dragon roll (eel, cucumber, lettuce, and cream cheese and avocado.) When I ordered, the Sushi Chef looked at me oddly and asked if I was sure I wanted all of that sushi... He didn't think I was going to finish the 8 piece Dragon roll on top of the mountain of tuna I had on my plate. Oh, how wrong of him! I sat at the bar, so all of the chefs just smiled at me in astonishment when I asked for the check and they all realized NOTHING was left on my plates :) See, this American girl loves herself some Sushi! So, $4,2000 Yen later, my tummy was full, happy and ready to cross the ocean. Oh, and Yen to dollars makes my lunch an even $42.00. Blame it on the tu-u-u-na!
This is the Sushi bar I ate at in Tokyo!
Blame it on the T-u-u-na...
I then hobbled to my gate, boarded the plane and sat forever. and ever. and ever. When I arrived in San Fransisco, I headed to the nearest Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and ordered the largest iced tea ever! Man, was that like drinking sweet nectar of the Gods! I then limped back to my gate, sat down and decided to 'unveil' my toe... BAD DECISION. FAIL. I just about yelped out in fear, pain, and disgust when I removed my sock and was greeted by the most horrific looking toe I have ever seen! Now, I am the first to admit that I was totally shafted in the gene pool when it comes to my toes. I inherited my dad's lovely German genes for huge feet and weird looking toes, while my Mom decided she just didn't want to pass on her genes for cute, dainty and gorgeous little feet and toes! Toe comes out of sock, I scream and then cover it back up. It has now become all blue, black, purple, red, yellow and is the size of a large tomato. I put my sock back on and hobble to my last flight into SAN ANTONIO!!
The flight was hell. I absolutely abhore those little express jets, and for a three and a half hour flight, I was crammed next to a man who kept touching my arm when he was reading. I start getting airsick, and by the time we land in SA, I am running to the bathroom to puke. I hobble down the escalator and... SURPRISE! Both my Mom and Dad are there waiting for me!! I think my Momma must have known that her baby girl (ok, grown baby girl) was thirsty and not feeling well, because after she just about choked me and squeezed me to death with her hug, she handed me an iced green tea from Starbucks :) I am HOME NOW, and it feels good!! If only I had Mr. Top Gun next to me, it would be perfect. The Holidays are just not the same without him :(






I'm so happy your home! I'm so sorry you had such a rough trip getting there. You are one brave women! Enjoy home, and the coffee! :)
ReplyDeleteOk, I'm gonna admit when I saw the toe picture I said Eww! outloud then I read your comment about not judging and started laughing. I'm sorry you broke it on such an important and busy day!
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you made it home though!!!!! And that's amazing looking sushi!