Monday, August 30, 2010

Meeting Typhoon Kompasu

Holy Crap. I am staring down the barrel of a rather vicious and nasty Typhoon, and per usual, Mr. Top Gun isn't around. 
This little surprise was well, just that! A damn surprise! Nobody saw this coming, and we figured it would pass well away from us. Not so, not so. I was woken up Sunday morning by Mr. informing me that he would be leaving with his plane sometime soon. Again, not a surprise about him leaving, but I am pissed that I have to ride another damn typhoon out ALONE. This one is a nasty one, apparently. We are expected to have the outer bands of rain and winds moving in around this evening, with the worst of the storm passing over us to the east of the island (Thank GOD I am on the other side!) I am not looking forward to 60-80 mph winds, but it looks like it will be in the late morning from around 8am to 2pm.


I am hunkered down in our house, protected by concrete and steel. The house still shakes and it creaks, but these homes here were built to typhoon standards. In fact, off base housing cannot be approved by the Japanese government unless it meets those high standards. I have extra towels stuffed in the windows, and in between the sliding glass door. Last is to place towels around the door downstairs (which is a beast of a storm door!!) I doubt anything is gonna get in, but just to be safe :) Hopefully I can walk Keely this evening before the rain and bad winds start, because if not?? She is using the tile floor! 


I am going to try to get some video from inside the house of the winds- but I'm not promising anything. I think I will just live in the laundry room for the half of the day tomorrow... Ugh. Pray for me!

1 comment:

What's on your mind?